This morning, I received a text from my friends who are meeting Eliot and I in Quito, Ecuador tomorrow. They are in the mountains and visited the Amazon today.
I decided to look up exactly where they were so I googled “Amazon.” I actually had to scroll way down to find the Amazon “jungle” or the Amazon “rain forest”. I finally had to resort to inserting the words “jungle” and “rain forest” in search to get what I was looking for.
The other Amazon, the Jeff Bezos kind, is not only overtaking Google, but the world as well. It has become our everything. It has taken over cloud services, voice assistants, publishing, and self-serving brick-and-mortar stores.
Now I hear that Amazon is getting into fashion. They want to change our whole approach to buying clothes. To some extent they already have. Now they want their own brands. They already own other fashion companies including Zappos, but that’s not good enough.
Coresight Research claims 14 per cent of what Amazon sells is their own product. Amazon now is going after the remaining 86 per cent dominated by third parties. They are going to spice things up with major fashion concepts and trends. It’s not good enough to be the largest apparel retailer. Amazon wants their own designed clothes on the cover of Vogue, Elle, and Marie Claire.
In case you are wondering, the Amazon “rainforest” is located in nine different countries with 60 per cent in Brazil. The balance is Peru, Columbia, Ecuador. Bolivia, Venezuela, Guyana, Suriname, and French Guiana.
Read more about Amazon moving into fine apparel in Tech Crunch.